By Reed Dillon, Creative Brand Content.
What is Content Marketing and why you should embrace it? Content Marketing is the most practical, efficient and valuable strategies that a one can use today to grow their business website presence. It is not a trend or a fad but an investment in long term growth. Practiced, content marketing has the potential to unleash powerful benefits. The Content Marketing Institute formally defines it as the following:
“Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Source: Content Marketing Institute
Below are some further thoughts and benefits on the subject:
- More on-site content = more leads: This may seem elementary but the more rich and varied content that you have on you website, the more likely it is that your customers will visit and stay on your site. The longer they stay on your site the greater likelihood is that they will become more invested in your brand and convert into a lead. Blogs are a great example of how you can easily add new and differing content on your site.
- With new content comes greater visibility: The quest of a search engine is to get that person seeking information to the relevant content. With every new blog post comes another listing and more opportunity to be recognized. Your website will become stronger. Google will index that page as a separate listing in its search results. With more postings more pages will be indexed. Trending industry keywords in the copy also gives increased opportunities to rank in search queries.
- Recognized source and thought leader: Being a thought leader comes with responsibilities. It is your duty to deliver truthful unbiased information that engages, informs and helps those persons who reads your content. The more quality information that you put on your website the more the site will be seen as a recognized source and thought leader on the subject. With more traffic the search engines will increasingly see the site as an authority on the subject. With additional domain authority your site will command more organic traffic which in-turn will enhance your site’s search engine presence.
- Share the love: Don’t be greedy, collaboration is a good thing. The internet is an open source venue. Share your views by contributing to the blog sites of friends in the industry. This again will enhance your status as a thought leader and authority as well will give you the opportunity to have reciprocal links come to your site.
- Share and syndicate through social media platforms: Use your content to your best advantage. Use content from your website and blog on social media. By sharing on social media platforms, others will have the opportunity to share it on their social media platforms which will increase your radius of exposure, site visitation and followers.
- Pulling double-duty: Be wary of overt solicitation. Content should not be simply an opportunity for self promotion. The primary objective of content marketing is to deliver trustworthy and valued information. With that established, opportunities might exist to promote goods and services. This should be done judiciously and within the context of the content itself. Most people will know when they are being snowed and when something doesn’t smell quite right, they will leave.
- Create brand ID and relationships: Content marketing creates great opportunities to fine tune your brand identity and build long-lasting loyalties and relationships. Increasing your brand presence through brand content will enhance your reputation and help with brand recognition and that is never a bad thing.
- Investing now pays dividends down the road: If content marketing was easy everyone would be doing it. The fact is that content marketing takes effort and a lot of time, which is your primary investment. Content marketing can be very cost-effective but with that being said content extends much farther than written words. People are now accustomed and expect the delivery of content to come in other forms i.e. video, pod casts etc… which can cost money. This should not obscure the fact that content itself is powerful and its return can be significant and can compound over years. The trick is to dedicate yourself to it. You might not see it you’re first few months but it will yield results the more that you work it over time.
Content marketing is king. It is one of the most practical, efficient and valuable strategies you can use to achieve real and long range strength and power for your company website and brand. Increased traffic, higher conversion rates are just some of its benefits. Results are compounded overtime if you dedicate and invest the effort, time and resources to it. The sooner you start investing in it, the sooner you’ll start to see its tangible results.
Parts of this blog was sourced from the blog postings http://www.inc.com/jayson-demers/the-top-10-benefits-of-content-marketing.html by Jayson Demers and http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2012/06/content-marketing-definition/ by Joe Pulizzi
ABOUT Reed Dillon – Reed Dillon is the owner of Creative Brand Content, creativebrandcontent.com – a marketing consulting company and Modularhomeblogs.com, a subscription blog service for builders. Reed has spent nearly two decades heading the marketing departments of some of the industry’s leading modular manufacturers and earning numerous national marketing awards. Contact can be made at [email protected] or by phone at 540-488-2978.